When you have lots of updates in the WSUS the web users interface gets really slow and the approval changes takes forever. From time to time it’s good to do some cleaning and throw away all unneeded updates.
1. Make sure you synchronize only updates for products you are using.
2. Decline all updates that are superseeded by a update that you already have approved for installation.
3. Download the WSUS Server Diagnostic Tool and run it with the /Tool:PurgeUnNeededFiles switch.
4. Run wsusutil deleteunneederevision to purge update metadata for unnecessary revisions from the database. This is especially good if you are using MSDE and running out of space. Wsusutil is located in C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools at your WSUS server.
5. Run wsusutil reset to check that every update metadata row in the database has corresponding update files stored in the file system. If update files are missing or have been corrupted, WSUS downloads the update files again.